Monday, March 7, 2011

The Tokyo subway system

I'm sorry to say that I did not take any pictures of my first adventure into the subway. It was absolutely terrifying, and way to busy figuring out where I was going. I researched my route as much as I could, but it still did not prepare me for the experience. First off, no one told me that in Tokyo's subway and train system, you have to use the same ticket you bought on your way in to exit the station. So I was stuck in the middle of Shibuya station with thousands of people bustling around me, trying to figure out how people were getting through the turnstiles to the other side. Everyone I tried to ask, looked at me like I was crazy, so I just stopped asking and stood there with my luggage like an idiot for about 10 minutes, looking for a white person. When I finally found one, I think I startled him with how I literally grabbed him by the collar and begged for his help. He just smiled and explained how things worked. Once I had gotten to the station where I was supposed to meet my housing agent, I was so exhausted from hauling my carry on up and down flights of stairs, that I almost melted when I found him. And I did it all IN A SUIT. Thanks, mom. I'm sure I looked super professional and all, but it was possibly the most uncomfortable way to travel EVER. But seriously, thanks for the suits, mom :). My room at the guest house is exactly the size I expected it to be; a postage stamp, but I'm living with some pretty cool chicks who are also foreigners working for the same company.
This is the view from my window;
It snowed this morning! 15 degrees the first day (t-shirt weather in Canada), 2 degrees the next. I can't help but thinking I brought it with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment