Friday, June 3, 2011

Tokyo is Better Than You.

This is an ipod. It is just slightly larger than my thumbnail and contains more memory than the average computer.

So... a couple days ago, my fellow employees and I were shipped back to Tokyo for the day for more training. The actual training itself was a joke, just re-hashed material that everyone already knew, but nobody's complaining about the free trip to the city. Not to mention that we were paid for 6 hours of work, and got let out just shy of 4. I'm all for training. We decided that we best spend our time wisely for the remaining two hours and got slightly inebriated at a bar across the street from head quarters. I met some outstanding individuals that teach in the city. I've decided that if I decide to renew my contract for next year, I will be living in Tokyo. I am completely in love with it. Join me in basking in it's awesomeness;
 This is a small, 8 story building dedicated to electronics in Akihabura, the technological center of Tokyo. I've been here before, and it never ceases to amaze me. This is where I found the most adorable ipod known to man (see above).
 This is an ad on the subway for beer. There is no debating the awesomeness of that fake mustache.
 An ad for the android phone. MAN, those penguins are creepy.


 The daily umbrella parade. It's just the beginning of the rainy season, so there's a small rainstorm almost everyday. Everyone is always prepared, and has an umbrella on-hand. But be careful not to leave your umbrella unattended! Casa (umbrellas) are considered fair game if you leave yours behind. It's the one thing that's socially acceptable to steal if you find it. On the other hand, no one would touch your sunglasses if you dropped them.

This is my train line back to Utsunomiya from the city. I start at the red line at the top of the map, and end up at the lower left hand corner, at the very end of the line. From downtown to home is about 90 minutes on a bad day.
Some American fellows I met at "training."

"No smoking giant, people-sized cigarettes."

Yes, that's a bathroom. I don't know why I took pictures of it.


Later that night I met up with some old friends that I really missed. We went to a club in the heart of Shibuya... but it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. The place was really, really gross and not at all busy. It was supposed to be free, but the door-lady charged us a 1000 yen (basically a two drink minimum). The floors were so sticky my shoes came off every time I tried to dance. THIS is why I don't like clubbing. If it wasn't for these two, I wouldn't even have gone in. To those of you thinking of clubbing in Tokyo; the Camelot's a sh*thole. Avoid it all costs. After an hour of me wrinkling my nose at this herpes-fest, we went to a little restaurant closer to Sangenjaya, where the girls (and I used to) live. Much MUCH better;



One of my favourite pastimes is walking in the rain listening to great music. Lucky for me, it rains a lot in Japan, so I get to do this quite frequently. Looking kinda haggard in this picture with no makeup on...


There are some beautiful rose bushes on my walk home in Utsunomiya... thought I should share them.

So... how much do you pay for a mango? Is it close to 20 bucks? No? That's weird, Japan seems to think they're worth 20 bucks. WHO WOULD PAY 20 BUCKS FOR A MANGO?!?!?! ONE MANGO!!!!


If mangos made from solid gold aren't your thing, maybe you should try a claw-game meat stick. Of course, it's three feet long and you have to spend several dollars trying to get it, but I'm sure it's totally worth your time. Note the difference between the two games. In the first, there is a large plastic ring attached to the meat stick to grab onto with the robotic claw. I can only assume this is the child's version of the game. Nothing says "fond childhood memory" like that time little Timmy won a 3 foot long 10 pound meat stick at the arcade. And then when Timmy grows up, he can try his hand at the more difficult "no pull-cord" version. They really love their meat sticks in Japan. Just look at this guy;
That's enough sodium for a lifetime, right there.


And with that, I say goodnight, beloved blog-readers.

3 comments:

  1. Hope it's not creepy of me to ask if you would consider adding an RSS feed...? Either way, I really like your blog. It's a fun read, especially with all of the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked the internet how to do this, and I think I figured it out. Enjoy the (totally not creepy) RSS feed!

    ReplyDelete